Resplect
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scribblings

+2
If I Could Rewind
Darth Skywalkerbacca
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Scribblings - Page 2 Empty Re: Scribblings

Post by Alex Steiner Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:12 am

It also needs information about what each player's goals were at the time, based on what information they had.
Alex Steiner
Alex Steiner
Spammer

Scum Credits : 1816

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Soar:

Notes:
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Scum Credits : 2646

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:12 pm

I don't know, there is something about the way they talk that puts me off, I think it's a lack of familiarity with characters that are obviously friends, or something like that which I find so off-putting.

what was the inspiration for this particular idea?

Also I'm not sure if 2500 words is enough to develop a 'semi-crime' story like this one, it makes everything feel rushed.
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Scum Credits : 1748

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:54 pm

I've got to get wider opinions of the dialogue.  My mum really liked it (as did I, but I wrote it ...); Alex and Eggs were largely indifferent, and now you found it off-putting.  Since it's a major part of the story (around 1000 words), it's rather important.

I was finding it really hard to come up with an idea, so I tried to create a generalised skeleton, and then fill in the bits:
Original Skeleton wrote:An attention-grabbing, somewhat victorious opening scene (also setting up climax) that quickly turns into defeat as the villain gains the upper hand and leaves the protagonists in the dust (perhaps by stealing something vital).  After blaming each other for a while, they figure out what they need to do (compromise) and set off.  Encounter obstacles the villain has left behind; not too much difficulty, but they have to save each other, sniping at each other's weaknesses the entire time (exposing flaws they'll need to cover in the climax).  Catch up with villain, who uses their own natural advantage; protagonists manage to beat that (working separately); villain uses new, stolen advantage; protagonists scatter, then get together to exploit flaws and victorious moment.  Ride off into the sunset, still sniping.
As you can see, some of that was dropped once I figured out more where the story was going.

Then I developed the setting; a giant 'house' had been an idea I'd toyed with before - a bunch of people living inside with little overall authority; a setting for personal accomplishments. I wanted the protagonists (at this point I wasn't sure if they should be 'heroes') to be the mid-level lab, while the villain has a lair on the upper floors (height is of course not important in an entirely-inside setting, but it's symbolic). I brainstormed some ideas for powers (inherent or vulnerable to theft) - phasing, banishment, time altering, anti-gravity, flight, virtual reality - but nothing jumped right out at me. At that point I really just needed to get writing , so I set up the epic (somewhat cliched and flowery) opening battle, then when I decided to drop Tess and Nick out of it onto the floor, I realised I had the basics for the tech already figured out. The rest pretty much flowed from there.

People complaining about the shortness .. it's short, OKAY? But yeah; I tried to give it a bit of a feel of that Tess and Nick aren't that concerned, it's an inconvenience, but one they can deal with. No point sitting around plotting elaborate revenge when they can just go out and get their stuff back. It's also a way to keep up the action and energy throughout. I realised that (depending on how fast you read), the story unfolds in pretty much real time.

I'm considering (fairly strongly, dependent on other reviews) dropping the whole exploration of other doors segment and expanding the character of Mr Jones, in order to flesh out the world a little bit more.
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:56 am

I would agree with droping the door segment, it really isn't needed and it slows down the pace before the climax.
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:33 am

ok people who here would be interested in a Scribbling-off?

We can set some rules i.e. word count and genre just to make it harder and mix things up a bit, it's always good to deviate from your usual style somewhat.
We will submit our scribblings and the others can vote for whose they think is best.

(This was inspired by Overlord's piece above and the reasoning behind it.)
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:10 pm

You know the answer. Restrictions do make things easier, in some respects. If people want to participate (hah), we can vote for/score each other.
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 pm

I've been looking for a motivator to post here, guess I've got one now.
The King of Eggs
The King of Eggs
Spammer

Scum Credits : 1188

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:16 am

ok people lets discuss the guidelines for the first Scribble-off I assume Overlord, Eggs and myself are in, Rewind may be interested I'll pm him to make sure he knows about it if anybody else in interested /in now.

ok guidelines:

length - ?
genre - ?
theme - ?
handicaps - ?

those are all things to determine before we start, also the time we get to write it I'd say we do this fortnightly for most maybe a few quickfire rounds with small stories occasionally to change up the pace.
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:55 am

My $0.02:

Length: All my Scribblings submissions have been in the 1500-2500 word range.  1500 gives just enough space to really nail the core concept; 2500 lets you flesh it out a bit more/have a couple of separate scenes.  If you're looking in terms of how long it takes to write, at least for me 1000 is like an hour (from actually starting to write), 1500-2000 is a couple of hours (dedicated sitting down and doing it), and 2000-3000 is over a few days.  So by that we could vary the word count depending on how much spare time we have and how frequently we want to do it.  Probably for the first one I'd suggest 1500-2000 words - enough for a decent size without being too large (the size of 'Left Behind' and 'Rebirth').

Genre: While I have certain genres I'm more familiar with (sci-fi/powers), I wouldn't be averse to trying something new.  If you want the really broad list of genres: Action, Comedy, Drama, Horror, Mystery, Romance, Thriller - any of those can be good if done cleverly (and we're all very clever).

Theme: Again, while certain themes appeal more than others, any can work well.  That isn't really very helpful.  Perhaps rather than doing some broad theme that we can all interpret differently, pick something really narrow - and that'll still provide very different stories.  Like 'the progression of time means the death of you as you currently are'.  Other suggestions welcome.

Handicaps: By this I assume you mean just other restrictions.  Things like setting, idealism/cynicism, cast size; or certain things that you have to include (like a treehouse).  Sure, some of those might be hard (Eggs, try a super-idealistic story!); but that's the challenge and the fun.

Another thought I had (maybe not the first one, but perhaps No. 3 or 4) was to find an old story, like from school, and use the same ideas with your current writing style.

I also think it's not worth sitting around discussing the guidelines for ages - let's just get to the writing, particularly if we'll do a bunch of them as an ongoing thing.  That said, I don't want to just take over and declare 'this is how we're doing it'; so weigh in, and if in a few days we haven't gotten anywhere, then I will reluctantly assume control.
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:52 am

I vote we let Overlord assume control
The King of Eggs
The King of Eggs
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by If I Could Rewind Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 am

I second that vote
If I Could Rewind
If I Could Rewind

Scum Credits : 961

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:25 pm

that's nice to know but your opinions on guidelines would be appreciated even by Overlord I assume.

I went with the fortnightly idea because it gives people time to work around busy schedules and a lot of time for rewrites and perfecting, I have noticed myself starting to write something down, I'll write down maybe a full short story or part of a longer one, then I'll leave it for a while and the next time I do it I'll do some severe editing, cut out, reword and add quite a bit to try and make it better.

It isn't the most efficient writing style in the world and it takes me a while to write anything but I feel it creates a better story than a long block writing session.

I agree I want our first Scribbling-off to be something not in our usual styles. Personally I was thinking Tragedy just to give us a challenge.

The 2500 word mark was what I was thinking for most stories.

Theme, and handicaps are just there if we want to make things harder for ourselves we don't have to include them in all of the stories as I said we should talk now to hash out our go-to guidelines that most of the Scribbling-offs will follow. Specifics can come in later.

Also nobody is in charge we are supposed to be discussing these things as a group with no executive decisions, we will make it that if we cannot decide on guidelines for a particular Scribbling-off within a reasonable time Overlord gets to make the choice.
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:29 am

Such a show of confidence!
Darth Skywalkerbacca wrote:that's nice to know but your opinions on guidelines would be appreciated even by Overlord I assume.
But this is the truth.

Darth Skywalkerbacca wrote:I went with the fortnightly idea because it gives people time to work around busy schedules and a lot of time for rewrites and perfecting, I have noticed myself starting to write something down, I'll write down maybe a full short story or part of a longer one, then I'll leave it for a while and the next time I do it I'll do some severe editing, cut out, reword and add quite a bit to try and make it better.
Fortnights are good for me.

Darth Skywalkerbacca wrote:I agree I want our first Scribbling-off to be something not in our usual styles. Personally I was thinking Tragedy just to give us a challenge..
Sounds good.

Darth Skywalkerbacca wrote:The 2500 word mark was what I was thinking for most stories.
Sounds good.  We can do epics or fast-burst shorter ones as we decide to do specials.

Darth Skywalkerbacca wrote:Theme, and handicaps are just there if we want to make things harder for ourselves we don't have to include them in all of the stories as I said we should talk now to hash out our go-to guidelines that most of the Scribbling-offs will follow. Specifics can come in later.
I vote for the first one at least we keep it simple - no extra restrictions other than genre and length.

Darth Skywalkerbacca wrote:Also nobody is in charge we are supposed to be discussing these things as a group with no executive decisions, we will make it that if we cannot decide on guidelines for a particular Scribbling-off within a reasonable time Overlord gets to make the choice.
Works for me (of course!).

So, tentatively: Tragedy, 2500 words, deadline sometime around the 31st of July? How do we want to judge this - get externals like Alex (unless he wants to compete), or amongst ourselves? I personally think we should each judge each other's (like /10 unless you want to do criteria), and whoever gets the highest aggregate score wins.  Prize could be more input into the next style, or just bragging rights.
Suggestions? Objections?
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:39 am

if there is anybody outside of resplect that you people may know that wouldn't mind weighing in the bigger the voting group the better, this is another reason to keep it at a fortnightly rate so we don't spam people with stories they don't have time to read, I say everybody on resplect votes for there favourites, people cannot vote for their own, in-depth critiques are good if people want to do that, make sure the people that vote give explanations as to why they voted that way though.

Out of ten I hadn't considered but that also works well for me, in fact it's probably better that way so people can know how close they cam to wining.
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by The King of Eggs Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 am

I'm fine with everything stated
The King of Eggs
The King of Eggs
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by If I Could Rewind Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:01 am

Once again I concur with Eggs
If I Could Rewind
If I Could Rewind

Scum Credits : 961

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 am

Fine if you are not going to add ideas we will go with what we have.

Scribbling-Off 1

Genre: Tragedy
Length: 2500 words or under
Start Date: 16/07/2013
Due Date: 30/07/2013

progress reports would be nice as well, just to keep track of how long this is taking people so we can revise our fortnightly approach if necessary.
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:53 am

Excellent.
See you on the other side, gentlemen.
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:50 am

Darth Skywalkerbacca wrote:progress reports would be nice as well, just to keep track of how long this is taking people so we can revise our fortnightly approach if necessary.
Well, if you insist.

After thinking idly for the most part, I finally started writing yesterday. I have 800 words. Not that I have a lot of free time between now and deadline, but I'll make it work.
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:58 am

ok so I know at least myself and Overlord should be finished by today, I'll admit I've been busier than usual these last two weeks and haven't been on top of this quite to the extent that I should have been.

I know that Alex has forfeited and I'm pretty sure Eggs hasn't done anything as well, not sure about Rewind though but I have my fingers crossed we get something today.
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:54 am

As promised; see, I'd never leave Resplect hangin'!
As first to submit, I propose the following judging structure:
If there are 3 or more submissions, all five of us (Darth, Rewind, Eggs, Alex, and myself) give scores out of 10 (we don't judge our own), and take the average/total.
If there are only 2 submissions (I assume Darth as well as myself), the other three give scores.
Sound like a plan?

2499 words; I knocked out the last 1800 and edited down this morning.
I suggest that author's notes come after scoring, so the stories are judged on their own merit. (Also, I haven't written any notes yet.)

Royal Duty:
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 am

that sounds like a good plan too me, but even so if you know somebody outside of resplect that you don't think will mind as well, the more feed back everybody gets the better they can get in turn.
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Supreme Overlord Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:24 am

So ... I guess I win by default!

If people could check in and explain where they are (ie intent to submit, willingness to participate in judging), that'd be grand.
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Skywalkerbacca Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 pm

as you know I had finished my story on time just without editing, had planned to do that before now but you also know why I haven't. But will get to it by the end of the week.

I say if nobody else has finished theirs before then, then we just go with you and me.
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Darth Skywalkerbacca
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum